Movie Review: Captain America: The Winter Soldier


What price is exceptable to make the world safe? In April 2014, we watched as two individuals argued that very question.

Directing this 136 minute action/adventure/sci-fi is Anthony Russo and Joe Russo with Joss Whedon directing the post-credits scene.

Some of the dynamic cast is: Chris Evans as Steve Rogers/Captain America, Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury, Scarlett Johansson as Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow, Sebastian Stan as Bucky Barnes/Winter Soldier, Robert Redford as Alexander Pierce, Anthony Mackie as Sam Wilson/Falcon, Frank Grillo as Brock Rumlow. With an apperance by (MMA fighter) Georges St-Pierre as Georges Batroc.

It's been two years since Captain America and the rest of the Avengers saved the world during that fight in New York. Now, Cap keeps himself busy by catching up with all the things he's missed out on and has
continued working with the agency known as S.H.E.I.L.D. Together they fight the good fight, unfortunately this next fight, they never saw coming. To make matters even worse, it looks like a bit of Cap's past has caught up with him.
                                                 

Well, Marvel dropped another sequel on us, and this one has had people chomping at the bit to see it. Don't get me wrong, Captain America: The First Avenger was a cool movie, I liked it, but it ran kinda slow for me. This one does not have that problem, at all. It has a great pace and between the killer fight scenes and the twists and turns I was definitely entertained. The storyline wasn't what I expected so it caught me off guard and totally knocked me off my feet. I was kind of leery when I saw they were pulling out the Falcon character, but you know what? Not only did Wilson do a good job but I liked the way they pulled off the look of the character.

Now, I was never a huge fan of Cap's comics, but I did my time keeping up with them and was familiar with the material. So when they showed the Winter Soldier was going to be tearing stuff up in this one I was a little upset. Because they had torqued the background of the Bucky character in the first film, Captain America: The First Avenger (which, yes it set me off, I'm comic nerd) so I was seriously ready to go off when I found out the Winter Soldier was in the sequel. Cause I knew they were just going to do something stupid and continue to mess up a killer character. However, I... was... wrong, there I said it. They not only brought in the character with what looked like seamless ease but made a great showing doing it. So, I tip my hat to you Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely for writing a solid screenplay. You had me worried with the first one, but you guys won me over with the playthrough.

Special effects where great just like in the original film, but with even more cool stuff to look at. I mean tons of cool stuff that will keep your eyeballs glued to the screen. Some of my favorite scenes where watching Cap and the Winter Solider trading fista cuffs, which I'm sure you'll get a kick out of also. This film got a boost of 30 million more to the budget than the first Captain America movie, and man, they used the money very well.

Now I'm totally stoked about seeing what they're going to do with the third installment to the Captain America series. Especially because they've got McFeely and Markus working on the screenplay again and the Russo brothers as the directors. I don't know yet if Trent Opaloch will return but after doing such a nice job with the cinematography, I hope he does. Either way, the third film won't be out till (some time) around May 2016.

Overall, GO SEE THIS MOVIE, nuff said!

It's rated PG-13 for violence.

4 stars


Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,