Movie Review: Divergent

What do you do when society says to conform, but you don't fit in just one of it's molds? In March 2014, Tris was different like that, which made her a threat.

Directing this 139 minute action/adventure/sci-fi is Neil Burger.

Trying to find their place in this world is: Shailene Woodley as Tris, Theo James as Four, Jai Courtney as Eric, Kate Winslet as Jeanie, Ben Lloyd-Hughes as Will, Ashley Judd as Natalie, Tony Goldwyn as Andrew and Ray Stevenson as Marcus.

In a post-apocalptic Chicago lives a girl named Tris who's trying to find her place in life. Because the Choosing Ceremony, where you pick one of the five factions you will join, is approaching and Tris will have to figure out where she belongs. People are put into one of these factions based on their virtures, each group
has their own purpose, each working for the greater good. Problem is Tris kind of fits in more than just one faction. Which makes her a Divergent, someone who thinks independently and of course that makes her something the government doesn't like. This secret puts Tris in a lot of danger, but apparently she's not the only one trying to hide something.
                                                       


I expected very little when I saw the trailer for this one. All I saw was another tween-ish I don't belong/love story. I got to say, I was wrong. It's still not a great movie but it was better than expected, and had a pretty good storyline.  Actually, I think the storyline is what I liked best about this film, because of the plot. The playthrough isn't, bad and for the most part and keeps a good pace. Now, this flick is based on the book Divergent which was written by Veronica Roth. Unfortunately, I've never read the book so I have no clue when it comes to comparing the two. Either way, the cast does good but but a couple of characters got on my nerves a bit, which I honestly couldn't tell you if that was from the actor or the character they played.

The special effects and scenery caught my eye attention because they looked nice. A little too nice, for some dystopian post-apocalyptic spot in time. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for surviving what ever apocalyptic event happens. After however many people that do make it are left, of course you focus on rebuilding the society. Who wouldn't, right? Then after awhile everything starts running smoothly again and before you know it, boom! you're back on your apocalyptic feet. For me though, while trying to rebuild everything, there are certain things that never would have crossed my mind for needing or wanting. Like suits and ties, you know, business clothes. Again, we're talking post-apoc-alyp-itc... no more dry cleaners, how does the Erudite's (a group of people in the film) kept their suits so squeaky clean? Other than that, I was ok with everything else, I guess. Even all the super cool looking high tech stuff? Yeah maybe the book could help me understand this one a little better.

Now it held my attention, even though you can predict what's going to happen, watching it unfold is still worth a watch. Rental price is worth it, not theater. Side note, Lionsgate has already given the go ahead for the seqel, Insurgent and plans on the third installment Allegiant. I guess someone smelled a winner here.

It's rated PG-13 for violence.

3 stars


Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,